Skip to main content
Home » What's New » CHALAZION


What is it?

Also called hordeolum or stye. One of the glands of the eyelids swells due to blockage and may become infected.

Who does it affect?

A chalazion can happen in anyone, but it is more likely in patients who have blepharitis, meibomianitis or other reasons for tear glands to get blocked.

How is it treated?

Warm or hot compresses, eye drops, and oral medications are used to open the gland and help it drain. In stubborn, resistant cases the bump may need to be injected with a steroid or drained by making a small incision on the underside of the eyelid.